Using Locate via text message
If you do not have access to the web application or mobile app, you can initiate a Locate request from any text message capable cell phone as long as the cell phone's number is associated with a Contact in your Connect Rocket account.
Send a text message to your Connect Rocket phone number. The content of that text should be ' Locate' followed by a space and [the subject's 10-digit phone number]'
Connect Rocket will then send a message and a link to the subject.
Once received, the subject simply clicks the link and if required (based on their privacy settings) allows their phone to share their location. Once they've done this, their phone will send their GPS location (Degrees and Decimal Minutes) and estimated accuracy back to the person who sent the original text message.
- If your subject does not have cellular coverage, Locate & Message will not work.
- The Locate feature works with all smart phones with onboard GPS and a data plan and the capacity to send/receive text messages (SMS).
- The Message feature works with all text message capable phones.
- Connect Rocket will prompt the subject to leave their browser open while further attempts to refine location are made at preset intervals. This allows the phone time to better orient itself and refine the device's location.
- Remember that Locate is only one way of finding a subject and it should be utilized in concert with other information that is available to you about a subject's location.
- Where possible, speak with your subject before sending the location request to tell them what to expect.
- Once you have established a location, have your subject close out all applications on their mobile device to conserve battery power.
- Train with Locate so you remember how to use it and are familiar with the workflow on the subject's end.