How does Locate work?
Connect Rocket's Locate feature can be used to help pin-point the location of a lost subject if they have a smart phone and are in an area with cellular network coverage.
The Locate feature can be accessed on-demand in a matter or seconds, independent of Dispatch and Police services. The initiator of a Locate request sends a text message to a subject by mobile phone or from the Connect Rocket web application. Once received, the subject will be prompted to share their location with the initiator.
In order to use Locate, you need:
- Access to a mobile phone that is linked to a Connect Rocket account, access to the Connect Rocket web application or the mobile app.
- A subject (or bystander) with smart phone and the capacity to use it.
- Adequate network coverage for sending text messages and a minimal amount of data.
- If your subject does not have cellular coverage, Locate will not work.
- Locate works with all smart phones with onboard GPS.
- Locate requires a phone with a data plan and the capacity to send/receive text messages (SMS).
- Connect Rocket will prompt the subject to leave their browser open while further attempts to refine location are made at preset intervals. This allows the phone time to better orient itself and refine the device's location.
- Remember that Locate is only one way of finding a subject and it should be utilized in concert with other information that is available to you about a subject's location.
- Locate content being sent to your subject can be customized to suit the needs of your organization.
- Where possible, speak with your subject or bystander before sending the location request to tell them what to expect.
- Once you have established a location, have your subject close out all applications on their mobile device to conserve battery power.
- Train with Locate so you remember how to use it and are familiar with the workflow on the subject's end.